David Rutter is CEO and Co-Founder of R3, a global blockchain consortium made up of the worlds largest financial services companies, founded in 2014, and the first to build momentum behind a ‘blockchain not bitcoin’ narrative that raised the profile of the whole industry in an enterprise context.
He talks candidly about the difficult decision to open source Corda very early on, what is now becoming the de facto enterprise blockchain stack in regulated markets, and as a seasoned entrepreneur (pioneering early electronic trading systems in the 90’s) his approach to engaging incumbents and regulators when compared to competitors like Ethereum’s Consensys and what he sees as the naivety of Facebook Libra.
- Building to solve real world problems
- Achieving scale in the world of financial services
- How the R3 consortium has evolved and grown
- Thoughts on Libre
- How R3 created FOMO with enterprise
- Pragmatism as an approach to delivery
- How R3 not only grew market share but also grew the market more broadly
- Working with US federal governments